Thursday, March 14, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #1: Movies you Thought You'd Hate, But Ended Up Enjoying


Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!





This week's theme is: Movies you Thought You'd Hate, But Ended up Enjoying (Suggested by Brittani)





Most of the movies listed here were directed or produced by Tim Burton and I was often afraid of Tim Burton's movies when I was little.  So, I never bothered to watch any of these movies until much later and man, has my opinions changed about these movies ever since!




I was absolutely terrified of this movie when it first came out and I had refused to watch it at the time.  It wasn't until I was in high school that I actually sat down and watched this movie and I realized that it wasn't as scary as I thought that it would be and I ended up loving it!  This movie eventually ended up becoming one of my all-time favorite animated films!




"Corpse Bride" was a much later film that Tim Burton directed that I wasn't interested in at the time.  I was still in that phase where I was scared of Tim Burton's movies and I didn't watch Corpse Bride until much later.  But, now that I re-watched this film, it has become an enjoyable film for me that I like to watch every October!




"Beetlejuice" was an earlier example of a movie that I was terrified of when I was little.  I never bothered watching this movie when it first came out and even when I started watching this movie when I got a bit older, I still wasn't sold on this movie.  It wasn't until I watched this movie a second time that I started growing fond of it and now I continue to watch this film to this very day!


17 comments:

  1. I have seen all of these and my favourite is Beetlejuice which I saw in the theatre. I like a Nightmare Before Christmas which is a lot of fun and I saw Corpse Bride on an airplane and it was good but it was not a good time at all to see it because a dear fr8end of mine just lost her baby to SIDS. He was 9 months and when they showed the baby on that movie I had to turn away. Sorry for going the dark way here. Glad you like these films and you have a theme within a theme. I’m also happy you saw them finally. This is like me with most horror movies tomthis day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your friend losing her baby. I hope she is doing okay. Yeah, I definitely started enjoying Beetlejuice after watching it a second time!

      Delete
  2. Please do a review on Big Ballet Day
    💛💙
    💜❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I've seen all three of these with my favorite being Nightmare by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I don't blame you for being scared of Tim Burton's movies when you were little - they are always a little grotesque and macabre if not exactly frightening, although Beetlejuice and Nightmare Before Christmas in particular lean into the horror elements. I love all of these to varying degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corpse Bride! Love that movie. It looks so lovely. Burton's films used to be awesome visuals AND great story but lately it was only the former

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. His later movies don't seem to carry the same magic his earlier films did.

      Delete
  6. I've been meaning to rewatch Beetlejuice for ages as I've seen it once when I was a kid and really enjoyed it. I love the other two, especially The Nightmare Before Christmas —I love that it works both as a Halloween and as a Christmas movie. At least it does for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually watch the Nightmare Before Christmas during the Halloween season since most of the characters in it were Halloween characters.

      Delete
  7. Just saw Beetlejuice for the first time last October and had a blast. Big fan of the others mentioned here, too, especially Corpse Bride. I will forever defend that movie.

    ReplyDelete