Thursday, July 4, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #7: Parenthood


Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!





This week's theme is: Parenthood!


This was another list that I almost didn't do since I didn't watch many movies that dealt with parenting. But then I stumbled upon a couple of movies that do involve parenting that I have seen before and I wanted to showcase them!  So, here are some movies that dealt with parenthood that you should check out!







This film is about Bob and Helen Parr being forced to go into hiding after the superhero registration act gets put in place and they ended up having a family together.  But, Bob wants to go back to being a hero again and is having a hard time adjusting to his new family life.  It isn't until a mysterious woman named Mirage promises that she and her secret benefactor will make Bob a hero again.

I know that this movie mostly focuses on the superheroics of the Incredible Family, but it does featured many scenes of Bob and Helen trying to deal with being good parents to their kids Violet, Dash and Jack Jack.  And it was quite entertaining and thought-provoking at the same time!








When an actor named Daniel (Robin Williams) goes through a bitter divorce with his wife Miranda (Sally Field), he decides to disguise himself as a female babysitter in order to spend more time with his kids, who are held in custody by his ex-wife.

I know that I featured this movie on the TMP for Babysitters / Nannies, but this was still a wonderful film that focuses on the divorced parents trying to take care of their kids in different ways.




3. Stepmom





When Jackie (Susan Sarandon) becomes terminally ill, she has to deal with her ex-husband's new girlfriend Isabel (Julia Roberts), who will become their stepmother.


I remembered watching this movie years ago in high school and I remembered liking it, although it's been awhile since I last watched this film.  I need to rewatch this film again to see if it holds up!

10 comments:

  1. Though I think I've only watched it all the way through once I did like Mrs. Doubtfire preposterous though it may be. That's in large part due to Robin Williams.

    I loathed Stepmom! My sister talked me into seeing it in the theatre (she even paid) and I sat there thinking it was the most lachrymose thing I'd ever endured. And it's not that I don't like melodramatic movies, I do but only when I don't run the risk of going into sugar shock from them.

    The Incredibles is animated and I can probably count on one hand the number of those I've seen. This isn't one of them.

    I also went with three favs, the second two are comedies and the first a mix of comedy and drama.

    Parenthood (1989)-Ron Howard directed this gentle, insightful comic drama of a group of siblings-Gil (Steve Martin), Helen (Dianne Wiest), Susan (Harley Jane Kozak) and the ne’er do well Larry (Tom Hulce)-their parents (Jason Robards & Eileen Ryan), their somewhat dotty grandmother (Helen Shaw) and their various spouses and offspring (including Mary Steenburgen, Rick Moranis, Martha Plimpton and a very young Joaquin Phoenix) as they navigate the big and little issues of child rearing.

    Mr. Mom (1983)-When automobile engineer Jack (Michael Keaton) is downsized his wife, Caroline (Teri Garr), returns to work as an ad exec with Jack taking over as homemaker and caring for their three kids. Though he eventually gets the hang of it there are many hilarious misadventures beforehand. But then tensions start to rise between Jack & Caroline as her work demands increase and his jealousy rises. Daffy and fun.

    Father of the Bride (1950)-When the apple of Stanley Banks’s (Spencer Tracy) eye, his daughter Kay (Elizabeth Taylor-breathtakingly beautiful), announces at dinner her engagement to Buckley Dunstan (Don Taylor) he’s thrown for a loop. But he discovers that the realization that Kay is grown up is nothing compared to the problems he encounters planning her wedding! As things get hectic, Stan's wife, Ellie (Joan Bennett), tries to be the calm in the center of the storm, but even she might not be a match to Stan’s jitters. Released to coincide with Elizabeth Taylor’s first (disastrous) marriage to Nicky Hilton this was an enormous hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to watch Father of the Bride, but I never got the chance to. Hopefully someday I will since I've been hearing lots of good things about it!

      Delete
  2. Stepmom! That and Mrs. Doubtfire are very nostalgic for me. I like both of those movies. I enjoy the Incredibles too, but not as much as everyone else it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love The Incredibles which was so funny especially the dad at work. Mrs. Doubtfire is another gem mainly due to Robin Williams who is sorely missed. I saw the last one on tv and though my teeth would rot. I found it predictable and that quilt thing..ughhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 10th Wiggles concert was awesome
    💙
    💛
    ❤️
    💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice picks! Whenever Mrs. Doubtfire is airing on tv, I'll always put it on, even as background noise. It never gets old.

    ReplyDelete