Thursday, October 29, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #44: Television Edition: Horror

 

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Television Edition: Horror!


Now, I love watching lots of horror themed TV shows and since this is Halloween Week, I have decided to choose horror themed TV shows that I have watched!









A young woman, destined to slay vampires, demons and other infernal creatures, deals with her life fighting evil, with the help of her friends.

OH MAN!  I just loved watching this series when it first came out!  Sarah Michelle Gellar was fantastic as Buffy and I loved the way that the show handled the horror aspects of the series with Buffy fighting monsters; while also dealing with life issues that Buffy has to face, like how her monster hunting affects her on a personal level.













A series of scary anthology stories based on the children's books by R.L. Stine.  Series one was hosted by R.L. Stine.

I remembered I used to watch this show a lot when I was little and I was always amazed by the horrifying stories in this series!  The one episode that always stayed with me were the Living Dummy episodes since I still remembered that scary looking face on one of the books!













After an au pair's tragic death, Henry hires a young American nanny to care for his orphaned niece and nephew who reside at Bly Manor with Chef Owen, groundskeeper Jamie and housekeeper, Mrs. Grose.

I'm still watching this show, but from what I've seen so far, I'm really liking it!  I just loved the way that this series handled the tension at the manor without using too many jump scares and I'm really interested in the mystery of the manor and the kids!








😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




6 comments:

  1. The only one of these I saw any of is Buffy but I have almost zero tolerance for Gellar so I only made a couple of episodes in and quit. I'm familiar with Goosebumps but more for the books, I never read any of them but my nephew did. The last sounds kind of interesting but horror isn't my bag.

    I ended up with a theme within the theme but only accidentally because I misread the subject and thought it had to be holiday horror. It turned out I hadn't seen much that qualified because while I found my first very entertaining the other two are dreck....but hey they came in handy so I didn't wade through them all those years ago for nothing!

    Home for the Holidays (1972)-Wealthy autocratic Benjamin Morgan (Walter Brennan), frail and seriously ill, insists his four daughters-Alex (Eleanor Parker), Freddie (Jessica Walter), Jo (Jill Haworth) and Chris (Sally Field) (he had wanted boys)-come home for Christmas to his enormous but isolated mansion. Estranged over their shared belief that Benjamin drove their mother to suicide they reluctantly return to be informed by their father that he suspects his second wife, Elizabeth (Julie Harris) is now trying to kill him. Shortly afterwards the girls learn that their stepmother was accused of killing her first husband and they begin to fall prey to a killer dressed in a yellow rain slicker!

    What would normally be a rather standard, though well directed, scare flick is elevated by the fact that the cast is ridiculously overqualified for this sort of endeavor-Sally Field (2 Oscars), Walter Brennan (3 Oscars), Julie Harris (5 Tonys and 2 Oscar nominations), Eleanor Parker (3 Oscar nominations) and TV stalwart Jessica Walter (a handful of Emmy nominations and a win)!

    A Vacation in Hell (1979)-When their excursion boat sinks four women including Marcia Brady (Maureen McCormick) and Agent 99 (Barbara Feldon) and a man (Michael Brandon) who have been holidaying at an exotic vacation resort must fight for survival after they become lost in a remote jungle while being stalked by a murderous native tribe. Terrible Movie of the Week incredibly was directed by the same guy who helmed Roots!

    The Midnight Hour (1985)-In the New England town of Pitchfork Cove a group of rather stupid teens (though the actors playing them are at minimum in their mid to late 20’s) pinch some costumes and artifacts from the local museum on Halloween and chant in the graveyard calling forth all manner of ghosts, zombies and other ghouls who they spend the rest of the movie running away from like the idiots they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We match on Goosebumps! I just finished Bly Manor last night. I liked it over all but I there were a few episodes I found really frustrating when they started to explain everything.

    ReplyDelete