Thursday, August 12, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #58: Movies That Confused You

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Movies that Confused You!

Oh my goodness! I love this week's theme!  There are so many movies that I've seen over the years that had confused me; whether it be because of how some aspects of the universe that the characters lived in aren't explained enough or how some physics within that universe works outside of that universe's structure.  Anyway, here are some movies that had confused me when I first watched them.









The spirits of a deceased couple are harassed by an unbearable family that has moved into their home, and hire a malicious spirit to drive them out.

I remembered when I first watched this movie and how confused I was with how the world of the living and the dead are able to coexist with each other, while not knowing each other's existence.  Granted, this movie is still weird to me to this very day, but it's very fun and enjoyable to watch!







An orphan who lives with his two cruel aunts befriends anthropomorphic bugs who live inside a giant peach, and they embark on a journey to New York City.
There were so many things in this movie that confused me so much when I first watched it.  First, there's the fact that a cloud rhino somehow managed to kill the main protagonist's parents, despite it being, you know, a cloud!  Then, there's this one scene where it looks like a mechanical looking shark is attacking the characters and yet, we don't know if that shark was made by somebody or the mechanical look was just a design choice for the movie.  And then, there's the fact that the characters are somehow able to breathe underwater, even though that type of cartoon logic has been around since the Looney Tunes first aired.  So, yeah, lots of things about this movie that really confused me and yet, made this movie pretty creative!




3. Spirited Away




During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts.

This right here!  This nightmare of a character (No Face) is the sole reason why this movie confused (and terrified) me when I first watched it!  I didn't understand the basis for his character or what he was trying to bring to the movie.  We weren't given any backstory whatsoever to his character and I just had a hard time trying to understand his character, while being frightened by him at the same time!






😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

5 comments:

  1. Beetlejuice is an interesting pick for this! I love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you went with this! Spirited Away is one of my all time favorite movies. James and the Giant Peach being here is an interesting choice. Nothing about that movie makes sense lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'd say Beetlejuice confused me the first time I watched it but it is a wild ride with a lot going on so I can see how it could be baffling. It's very inventive with that knock out cast making it all the better.

    I haven't seen your other two though I've certainly heard of them. With James and the Giant Peach I read the book years ago and don't have a sharp memory of it. I have seen little pieces of it when my various nieces and nephews were watching but never enough to know what was going on.

    I know there are people that just loved Spirited Away but not being an animation guy and hearing a description of it the film just never seemed like my thing.

    Glad you chose movies that you ended up liking, at least some of them, I can't say the same for mine. They have their fans but I though all three awful.

    Brazil (1985)-Some low-level flunky (Jonathan Pryce) in a world dominated by machines and technology spends his time daydreaming to escape his mundane existence leading to a muddled mess of confusion and ennui for the audience.

    Eraserhead (1977)-In the gloomy city Henry (John Nance) lives in a bleak apartment with his wife Mary X (Charlotte Stewart) a one night stand he knocked up. When the baby comes it’s a bizarre lizard-like creature that won't stop wailing. Henry tries to find the reasoning behind this from the other tenants, including a disfigured lady who lives inside a radiator, but answers aren’t easy to come by. In my case they were impossible.

    Liquid Sky (1982)- An alien creature invades New York's punk subculture in its search for an opiate released by the brain during orgasm or something like that, I’ll be damned if I could figure out what the point was or if this thing even had one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about Brazil, but I never got the chance to watch that movie. I just bought Eraserhead, so I can't wait to watch that movie soon!

      Delete