Thursday, October 7, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #60: Halloween Edition: School

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Halloween Edition: School! 


HAPPY OCTOBER EVERYONE!  That means that we get to talk about some horror themed movies and TV shows and this week's theme is really interesting!  So, this is a school themed horror list and I decided to choose 3 horror movies that deal with school!











Alex Browning is among a group of high school students readying themselves for a trip to Europe.  When he suddenly has a premonition their airplane will crash, he screams to warn the others but instead he is thrown off of the plane.

Ever since the first movie in the "Final Destination" franchise came out, I was immediately interested in this franchise!  Just the fact that this franchise is about a group of teenagers being killed off by an unknown force was something that really interested me!







Carrie White, a shy, friendless teenage girl who is sheltered by her domineering, religious mother, unleashes her telekinetic powers after being humiliated by her classmates at her senior prom.
This is definitely one of the most iconic horror school movies of all time!  The fact that it's about a young girl who has telekinetic powers and she ended up using her powers to murder people when pushed too far is definitely something that remained with me to this very day!




3. The Final



I've got a group of kids who a 10 tormented and bullied and a point where they want revenge against the kids of their high school and knowing today and it's going to change both sides of their life.

So, this movie can best be described as "Carrie," except that the bullied kids don't have telekinetic powers, but they still torture their tormentors in the most brutal ways possible!






😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, Final Destination. I loved that movie. The second was good too, then I stopped bothering. I've never seen your last pick. Carrie is one of my all time favorite horror films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Carrie and I wasn't a fan. I didn't love King's novel in the first place and I liked the film even less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen bits of the movie and I did enjoy the parts I did see. I will have to rewatch the movie again to see if it holds up.

      Delete
  3. Carrie is improved so much by the performances of Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie. The two of them elevate it above most in the genre which is usually defined by great acting. As for the rest of the film, it's fine but nothing I return to. It did kickstart a wave of films about telekinesis with its success.

    I hated the original Final Destination, sorry. I've never bothered with the follow-ups.

    I'm not familiar with your last pick and not being much of a horror guy I doubt I'll seek it out.

    As I said horror isn't something I'm very fond of so this was a challenge. I did come up with one that I'd seen recently that was straight horror but I had to get creative with my other two.

    Child’s Play (1972)-Paul Reis (Beau Bridges) returns to St. Charles, the exclusive Catholic prep school he graduated from a decade before to teach. Almost immediately he finds himself caught in a dark power struggle between his former mentor, the popular English teacher Joseph Dobbs (Robert Preston) and the detested autocratic literature teacher Jerome Malley (James Mason). What starts as a cold war of barbed insults between the instructors gradually escalates into cruel mind games that pulls the students into a rash of malicious hazing and ritualistic violence.

    Cutting Class (1989)-Freshly sprung from the nuthouse troubled Brian Woods (Donovan Leitch) returns to school where the other kids give him a wide berth. Enamored of fellow student Paula Carson (Jill Schoelen) he attempts to win her away from bad boy Dwight Ingalls (Brad Pitt-looking impossibly young). Their rivalry takes a back seat though when students begin disappearing at an alarming rate with Brian the prime suspect, but is it him? Exploitation junk worth seeing only for baby Brad in one of his first credited roles.

    Toy Soldiers (1991)-Seeking to leverage a judge’s son life for the freedom of his drug kingpin father Colombian terrorist Luis Cali (Andrew Divoff) takes the entire campus of the Regis prep school hostage not knowing the boy has been relocated. Since the school is a haven for rebellious students, often expelled from other schools, the main troublemakers-Billy (Sean Astin), Joey (Wil Wheaton), Snuffy (Keith Coogan), Ricardo (George Perez) and Hank (T.E. Russell) find that they are better equipped to deal with the threat than the mostly ineffectual government agencies sent to rescue them. With resourceful Billy as their leader, the students struggle to defeat the terrorists and save the school!! As preposterous as it sounds but still actiony, a little scary at times and fun in a mindless way.

    ReplyDelete