Thursday, August 29, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #12: TMP Television Edition - Revivals and Reboots


Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!





This week's theme is: TMP Television Edition: Revivals and Reboots!


Now, I often have a love/hate relationship with reboots, remakes and revivals since some of them can be good and do the original series justice. While others are horrible and they don't seem to understand why the original series was so great to begin with.  So, here are a couple of remakes, reboots or revivals that I actually enjoyed watching!






This is of course, the 2011 remake of the original 1980s "Thundercats" series.  I just loved watching the original "Thundercats" TV series and when I heard that they were going to do a reboot for it, I was a little hesitant about it.  But then, I actually sat down and watched it and I LOVED IT!!!  I loved the different take they had on the characters from the original series.  Too bad this show got cancelled too soon.








I honestly never seen the original "Hawaii Five-O" series.  But I did enjoy this remake of the classic series.  I guess it's because I have always been a huge fan of crime dramas and this was a really good crime drama series!







"He-Man" was another animated series that I used to watch a lot when I was little and I had always enjoyed watching that series.  So of course, I heard about the reboot coming out and I was hesitant about it.  But then I watched it and I loved it!  I loved the darker and edgier tone of this series and I like the different takes they had on various characters, especially with Teela and Ran-Man!  Unfortunately, this was another show that got cancelled too soon.

5 comments:

  1. I recall the old Thundercats reruns. Didn't they make a movie about it at one point too?

    Otherwise I haven't seen any of your picks this week. Though I think I've seen ads for the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they made a Thundercats movie, at least not one that I'm aware of.

      Delete
  2. I never did watch your animated pics but I loved the original Hawaii-5-O and loved that series much more than this new one. I laugh at the poster you show of them looking all hip and put together after being crafted

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I saw one episode of the original Thundercats with my nephew who watched regularly but that's it and none of He-Man but I'm not an animation guy.

    But hey we match on Hawaii 5-O! Loved the original, which had the best opening musical arrangement ever, and like the new one though I've lapsed in watching.

    I went with three that I loved as originals and at least in the first two cases liked the redos but the third just wasn't up to snuff.

    Hawaii Five-O (1968-1980/2010-?)-The elite branch of Hawaii’s police force…the Five-O…headed by Steve McGarret (Jack Lord), his faithful assistant Danny Williams (Dan-O) (James MacArthur) and their squad fought crime on the big island for 12 years kicked off by propulsive classic opening music. In 2010 the concept was updated but kept basically the same with Alex O’Loughlin & Scott Caan taking over for Lord and MacArthur and is still running today.

    Dallas (1978-1991/2012-2014)-Life in the oil business and Southfork ranch specifically centered on the Ewing clan headed by Miss Ellie (Barbara Bel Geddes) & Jock (Jim Davis), their sons-the ruthless J.R. (Larry Hagman) and good guy Bobby (Patrick Duffy) and their wives Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) and Pamela (Victoria Principal) as their spar and manipulate everyone and each other for 13 incredibly successful years. In 2012 a new version premiered following J.R. & Bobby’s sons John Ross and Christopher (Josh Henderson & Jesse Metcalfe) as they wheedled and cajoled like their Pappies. Not nearly as successful it only lasted two years but was a decent redo.

    The Odd Couple (1970-1975/2015-2017)-In 1970, two years after the successful Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau theatrical film, Tony Randall and Jack Klugman premiered as neat freak Felix Unger and major slob Oscar Madison who tried to live together without killing each other when they separate from their wives. They did so humorously for five years. In 2015 a new version premiered with Thomas Lennon as Felix and Matthew Perry as Oscar which limped along for two years. The difference was Lennon & Perry were talented actors playing parts whereas Randall & Klugman were ideal fits who were perfection in the roles, better even than Lemmon and Matthau in the original film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only watched a few episodes of the original Odd Couple series and I didn't care much for the new version with Matthew Perry, although I do like Matthew Perry as an actor.

      Delete