Thursday, February 13, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #28: Meet Cute

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!





This week's theme is: Meet Cute!


Happy (Pre) Valentine's Day everyone!  This week's theme is a good one as it discusses movies where characters met each other in a cute way!  So, here are some movies that I've seen where a romantic couple met in a cute way!



Image result for wonder woman and steve trevor gif


I just loved the interactions between these two!  I especially loved how they first met each other as it was truly adorable, especially with their "talk" about how different relationships regarding both men and women work out!






Image result for romeo and juliet 1996 kiss gif



I remembered watching this movie way back in high school and I just loved the modern twist they took to the original story, while still having the characters recite the dialogues straight from the original story!  I just loved the way that Romeo and Juliet met each other in this movie as it was quite cute and seeing a young Leonardo DiCaprio is a must!







Image result for titanic gif


Seriously, even though Jack and Rose's love story ends in a tragedy, they have one of the greatest romances in all of cinema!  I especially loved the way that they met each other as they automatically had a lot in common with each other and I was easily swayed by their romance!


6 comments:

  1. I didn't love Wonder Woman but then I was never a big fan of the original show but I did like Chris Pine in the movie. The girl (or should I say Gal) didn't impress me very much.

    I'm not the biggest fan of any version of Romeo & Juliet I've ever seen but this one put a nice spin on the material and tried to revitalize it in a new way. It was only partly successful but the cast did their best.

    I don't know if I'd exactly describe the way Jack and Rose met as "cute" what with her nearly falling to her death but they certainly had a whirlwind romance. Unfortunately I never bought it for a minute. I think perhaps I was too familiar with the real story of the ship and the mores of the time to realize that their romance would never have happened on that ship at that time in history. The social structures and class boundaries were just too firmly in place. So I thought that part of the film was so much hogwash though I loved both Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart's performances. Once the ship hit the berg though it was a technical marvel.

    I thought their for a moment that we had both gone in a similar direction by choosing three films that featured the same performer but Leo wasn't in Wonder Woman. But I decided to do a theme within the theme as a tribute to one of the queens of romantic comedy-Doris Day.

    Pillow Talk (1959)-Ultrachic interior designer Jan Morrow (Doris) and wolfish songwriter Brad Allen (Rock Hudson) battle over their shared party line without ever meeting. One night when Jan is enduring a bad unwanted date with a client’s drunken son at a nightclub Brad sees her dancing. Instantly attracted and knowing he’s poison to her if she hears his name he pretends to be Texas rancher Rex Stetson. Laying on the charm and aw shucks naiveté he sweeps Jan off her feet soon falling for her himself but when Jan’s other beau (and friend of Brad’s) Jonathan (Tony Randall) discovers the deception he hurries to let Jan know she’s being taken for a ride. Complications ensue but true love eventually wins the day.

    The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)-Jennifer Nelson’s (Doris) father Axel (Arthur Godfrey) runs a tourist boat with a glass bottom off Catalina Island and to help business Jennifer swims underneath dressed as a mermaid complete with tale. One day Bruce Templeton (Rod Taylor) hooks her fin and they bicker until he returns her costume. Later she discovers he’s her new boss at her day job in a research lab, tensions and sparks continue to fly.

    Lucky Me (1954)-Candy Williams (Doris) is a member of a cash strapped traveling vaudeville troupe stranded in Miami who are forced to work at a hotel when their leader Hap (Phil Silvers) tries to scam the place out of a lavish meal for them. Staying at the hotel is Broadway producer Dick Carson (Robert Cummings) working on his new show. The superstitious Candy goes for a walk one morning and in trying to avoid a black cat crossing her path jumps to the side causing Dick to smash his car into a wall while she walks on blithely unawares. Dick takes the car to a garage and the mechanic loans him the garage’s jalopy while he works on the car. Heading back to the hotel he again espies Candy now jumping along the sidewalk to avoid cracks and distracted he runs into a fire hydrant. Candy apologizes and takes him for a mechanic, he plays along which eventually leads to complications before love and Broadway success for all wraps things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! All of your choices sound awesome! I need to check out these movies! I agree that Romeo + Juliet was a nice interesting spin on "Romeo and Juliet," although it didn't do that well in theaters.

      Delete
  2. Titanic is so iconic, I was watching it again last night. I like your other picks ,but for WW even though I enjoyed the movie I didn't care much for Diana/Steve. Weird reaction, I know lol

    ReplyDelete