Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #29: Television Edition: Romance

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!





This week's theme is: Television Edition: Romance!


Well, Valentine's Day has come and gone, but that doesn't mean that I can't talk about romance once more!  This week's theme is about TV shows that are about the romance and I wanted to list off some TV shows that I have watched over the years that dealt with romance!


Image result for Virgin river gif
After seeing an ad for a midwife, a recently widowed big-city nurse moves to the redwood forests of northern California, where she meets an intriguing man.

I actually enjoyed the interactions between Mel and Jack, even if there were some moments that got on my nerves, like the Season finale.  But overall, this has been a pretty fantastic romance series so far!





Image result for Friends ross and rachel gif


Follows the personal and professional lives of six twenty to thirty-something-year-old friends living in Manhattan.


Yeah, yeah. I know the whole "Ross and Rachel" on again and off again relationship was a bit annoying throughout the show's run.  But I still enjoyed this show and it's still worth the watch after all of these years!




Image result for Grey's Anatomy Grey and shepherd gif

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

Now, I only saw the first two seasons so far.  But from what I've seen of this show, it's pretty good and I would love to see more adventures from Meredith and her friends!

8 comments:

  1. I was a faithful Friends watcher for the entirety of its run. Aside from the whole Ross/Rachel thing, and I rooted for then to end up together even of Ross was a bit of a doofus, the writing was often sharp and the performers were all perfectly cast and played their characters insightfully. It also had a great lineup of guest stars particularly the groups parents were wisely chosen and fit each one's backstory.

    I never got into Grey's Anatomy but at the beginning nearly my whole family were slavishly devoted. I was always more of an ER watcher.

    I'm unfamiliar with your first but it sounds intriguing.

    I'm a sucker for a good romantic comedy so I had many to choose from through the years which made it difficult actually. I went with three that varied their formats a bit from each other.

    The Nanny (1993-1999)-Fran Fine (Fran Drescher) is working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens when her boyfriend kicks her out in one of those crushing scenes. What is she to do, where is she to go? She’s out on her fanny. So it’s over the bridge to the Sheffield's door, she was there to sell make-up but the father saw more….she had style, she had flair, she was there! That's how she became the Nanny. And for the next five years Fran and her widowed commitmentphobe boss Broadway producer Maxwell Sheffield (Charles Shaughnessy) flirt, fight and fall in love while she raises his three children and causes dozens of calamities assisted her dizzy friend Val (Rachel Chagall), brassy mother Sylvia (Renee Taylor), forgetful Grandma Yetta (Ann Morgan Gilbert) as well as Niles, the butler (Daniel Davis) and Max’s brittle, cynical partner C.C. Babcock (Lauren Lane) who share a love/hate relationship while she too pines for Maxwell.

    Pushing Daisies (2007)-Pie maker Ned (Lee Pace) has the ability to bring dead things back to life with his touch. He yearns for his childhood crush Chuck (Anna Friel) who he has brought back from the dead but at a cost. They cannot touch or Chuck will perish. While they try and find a solution they work with private investigator Emerson Cod (Chi McBride) and co-worker Olive Snook (a scene stealing Kristin Chenoweth) with Ned using his abilities to solve murder cases. Quirky, unique series was cancelled far too soon.

    Love, American Style (1969-1974)-Comic anthology series that each week presented a series of vignettes featuring the various trials and tribulations of falling in love, marriage, falling back in love etc. With a constantly changing cast the show provided an early start for many future stars including Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Bernadette Peters, Burt Reynolds, Martin Sheen and many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I forgot about the Nanny! I need to rewatch that show again!

      Delete
  2. Friends is one of my all time favourites and I almost picked it myself this week. The others weren't that good so I didn't want Friends in it with those haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one of these I've seen full episodes from is Friends, which I never got into even though apparently everyone else my age did. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four or five seasons of Grey's Anatomy is good, then the show slowly starts to go off the rails. And i dislike a show for the fact that it has adopted the trend of (SPOILERS) writing off characters by killing them. Like people can't find any other imaginative way to end somebody's contract than to kill off their character. There are maybe like 2-3 that haven't been axed... and this show has been going on for 16 years. (I'm sure there are more but as like a distant old time fan, I've heard about some that I just can't get over, I actually stopped watching because of a certain exit). Anyway, the first one is on my list but who knows when I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hate it when they kill off characters whenever the actors' contracts are up. That's what happened with Buffy and I seriously didn't like that, although I will admit that they handled it a bit better in that show.

      Delete