Thursday, August 31, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks #68: Female Investigators (TV Edition)

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Female Investigators (TV Edition)!

Wow...so it's been awhile since I last did a Thursday Movie Picks and this week's theme is awesome!  I always loved watching detective and investigative TV shows and there are many fantastic female investigators that I wanted to talk about in this week's Thursday Movie Picks!










Two F.B.I. Agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, investigate the strange and unexplained, while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.

I remembered I used to watch X-Files all the time when I was a kid and I always loved Scully as a character since she's always portrayed as being the more serious and skeptical of the two investigators.











Professional writer and amateur sleuth Jessica Fletcher uses her intellect, charm and persistence to get to the bottom of every crime she encounters.

What I always loved about Jessica Fletcher is that she's a writer who happens to be a good detective too and since I always wanted to be a writer myself, I really relate to her character!










A female sleuth sashays through the back lanes and jazz clubs of Melbourne in the late 1920s, fighting injustice with her pearl-handled pistol and her dagger-sharp wit.

I always loved watching this show when it came on TV.  Phryne Fisher's character was fantastic and I loved all the murder mysteries that she gets into throughout this series!









😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

4 comments:

  1. I love Scully! Easily one of my all time favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices!

    I liked but didn’t love The X Files. I didn’t watch it until years after the show had finished its initial run, but when I did it was all in a batch. Like most shows it started strong and fell off as it went along but the character of Scully, especially at the beginning was a strong, intelligent, no nonsense and dedicated woman.

    I do however LOVE both of your other two picks! The lead characters live very different lives and have quite different attitudes but share a great native intelligence that enables them to puzzle out the mysteries. It helps both shows that they have strong casts of supporting, and likeable, performers-especially Miss Fisher with Dot and Aunt Prudence being particular favorites of mine. But both are sustained by their immensely talented charismatic lead actresses who carry their entire productions effortlessly. Plus, Miss Fisher’s Mysteries has such a fantastic production design and Phyrne’s clothes are often jaw droppingly amazing.

    My first two thoughts were Murder, She Wrote & Miss Fisher Mysteries too but I’ve used them before, so I went with these three instead:

    Nancy Drew Mysteries (1977-1978)-Pamela Sue Martin played the curious and dauntless teen who saw mysteries and suspicious activity everywhere and bumbled her way to finding the culprit. During the show’s second year it was blended with the ongoing Hardy Boys mystery show with Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson and Pamela’s role was reduced leading her to bolt the show.

    Mrs. Bradley Mysteries (1998-2000)-Short-lived but terrific show originated on Masterpiece Theatre and starred the magnificent Dame Diana Rigg as famed 1920’s feminist writer Adela Bradley. With the help of her trusted chauffer George (Neil Dudgeon) during her travels they unravel puzzling murders that seem to pop up along their way. I may have used this one as well but it’s such a little gem I like the shine a light on it when I can.

    Agatha Christie’s Marple (2004-2013)-Just what the title states dramatizations of all the Christie’s Miss Marple mysteries with St. Mary Mead’s intuitive and crafty spinster of independent means whose boundless curiosity always finds the solution to a murder that’s stumped the local constabulary. Geraldine McEwan played the intrepid Jane for the first three seasons with Julia McKenzie taking over for the final three years. The ladies offer different interpretations of the role, but both bring out her native intelligence and sharp wit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you also enjoyed Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Murder She Wrote! Those are such great shows! I need to check out the Nancy Drew series. It sounds interesting!

      Delete