Thursday, May 13, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #54: Period Dramas

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Period Dramas!

I'm pretty sure we did this topic before, actually I have a post about it HERE if you want to check it out.  Anyway, since I already mentioned the period dramas I have seen, this time, I will actually list the period dramas that I haven't seen yet, but I would like to see!







While home sick in bed, a young boy's grandfather reads him the story of a farmboy-turned-pirate who encounters numerous obstacles, enemies and allies in his quest to be reunited with his true love.

Even though this movie has been around for a long time, I never really got the chance to watch this movie as a kid, so I'm hoping to watch this fun looking movie pretty soon!






In German-occupied Poland during World War II, industrialist Oskar Schindler gradually becomes concerned for his Jewish workforce after witnessing their persecution by the Nazis.

Yeah, I usually don't do well with films that are about World War II since they tend to be pretty depressing.  But, this particular film is regarded as one of the best films ever made and the cinematography definitely looks interesting in this film!



3. The Sound of Music




A woman leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the children of a Naval officer widower.

After watching Mary Poppins and the P8rincess Diaries, I have become a bit of a fan of Julie Andrews and it's a shame that I haven't watched one of her most iconic films yet!  Definitely need to rectify that!






And don't forget!!  The Weirdest Movies Blogathon will be running from April 23rd - May 20th!  So please sign up today!









😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

8 comments:

  1. I've seen all three of these but the only one I'd watch again was Schindler's list. I didn't care for the other two, even though I know they're also classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picks! I've only seen parts of Schindler's List and it's pretty gruesome. I'd like to watch the whole movie some day. Love The Princess Bride and The Sound of Music though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen all three but The Schindler's List is the only I loved and watched more than once. I thought the other two were just okay, and I really don't get all the hype around The Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing nothing but good things about Schindler's List, so I'm definitely checking that out!

      Delete
  4. I likewise have seen all three and liked them all.

    Dating myself I saw Sound of Music in an actual theatre upon its original release (I was very young but it was raining so hard outside we could hear it in the theatre over the movie so it was memorable!) It has some pretty hokey moments but there is a great deal to enjoy. Eleanor Parker is wonderful as The Baroness who is a rival for the Captain's affection. Christopher Plummer is dashing as the Captain and of course Julie Andrews aside from being charming sings like an angel throughout.

    The Princess Bride also has a lot of charm. How much you like it depends on how much you appreciate whimsy. Great cast.

    Schindler's List is a completely different animal from the others. A relentlessly grim drama with wonderful performances, direction and cinematography but incredibly depressing.

    I'm a fan of period film but there are so many I had to do a theme within the theme to narrow it down to three. I chose three whose setting is the Revolutionary War.

    Drums Along the Mohawk (1939)- Attempting to forge a life and livelihood out of the central New York wilderness as the nation is born Lana and Gil Martin (Claudette Colbert & Henry Fonda) are besieged by Tory, Indian and British forces but they persevere. A depiction of the dangerous rigors faced by settlers on the frontier during the Revolutionary War.

    The Scarlet Coat (1955)-Benedict Arnold (Robert Douglas), Commander of the Continental Army at West Point conspires with Redcoat Major John Andre (Michael Wilding) to surrender defense of the fort to the British for a large sum of cash as the Revolutionary War rages. Sensing trouble American Major John Boulton (Cornel Wilde) undertakes a counter-intelligence operation to stop the deal from going through.

    1776 (1972)-The events and personages involved in the lead up to and signing of The Declaration of Independence all set to music. Though there is some artistic license taken this adaptation of the Broadway hit, which is scheduled for a revival later this year, captures the essence of the story.

    ReplyDelete