Thursday, November 11, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #61: Dream Sequences

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Dream Sequences!


Oh yes!  This is a topic that I was looking forward to!  If there's one thing that always remain surreal in movies in general, it's dream sequences!  So, this list will contain some of the WEIRDEST dream sequences that I have ever seen in movies!




1. Dumbo





Ridiculed because of his enormous ears, a young circus elephant is assisted by a mouse to achieve his full potential.

Now, while Dumbo is not one of my favorite Disney films, one scene that always stood out to me was the infamous "Pink Elephants on Parade" sequence where Dumbo starts hallucinating these pink elephants when he gets drunk (yeah, somebody got drunk in an animated Disney film for kids)!







A former San Francisco police detective juggles wrestling with his personal demons and becoming obsessed with the hauntingly beautiful woman he has been hired to trail, who may be deeply disturbed.


Even though I haven't seen this movie yet, many people talked about the special effects used in this film and one of the most iconic scenes in this film was the nightmare sequence.  Such a deeply disturbing yet surreal looking sequence!




3. Altered States



A psycho-physiologist experiments with drugs and a sensory-deprivation tank and has visions he believes are genetic memories.

Another movie I've never seen before, but one that many people had praised for its awesome visual effects.  After looking at the religious hallucinations scene, I have to say that this is one of the most visually stunning dream sequences I have ever seen!






😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

11 comments:

  1. I've never seen Altered States either, but now I need to look it up. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to see Dumbo! This dream scene seems to be quite the scene in an animated film which is when Disney was more cool and less corporated. Love Vertigo even if it is not one of my favourite Hitchcock films, it is still excellent and speaks quite a bit about sanity. I have not seen Altered States yet and unsure if I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch Vertigo soon! It seems like an interesting movie!

      Delete
  3. I commented yesterday and it disappeared so hopefully this one won't suffer the same fate.

    Haven't seen Dumbo in ages but I do remember it having some rather surreal imagery for a kids film.

    Vertigo isn't one of Hitchcock's films I have a great affection for (my favorite of his is "Rear Window") but it does have many provocative elements, a sharp use of color and a very good dual performance by Kim Novak.

    Overall Altered States was too weird for me but it does have some freaky images.

    I reached farther back for mine since many of the more recent films with memorable dream sequences I've used before.

    The Dark Past (1948)-On the lam after busting out of prison murderer Al Walker (William Holden) along with moll Betty (Nina Foch) and the rest of his gang take psychologist Andrew Collins (Lee J. Cobb), his family and friends hostage in their remote cabin. As a storm rages outside impeding their escape the shrink attempts to probe Walker’s psychosis focusing on analysis of a disturbing dream (which we see in an extended sequence) that has plagued the maniac for decades resulting in a psychological breakthrough that may help save them all. Aside from the quick fix cognitive hooey the film posits this is a well-acted noir, particularly by Nina Foch.

    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)-Mild-mannered pushover Walter Mitty (Danny Kaye) fills his days with flights of fancy to break free of his overbearing mother (Fay Bainter) and mercurial fiancée (Ann Rutherford). Indulging in elaborate daydreams he finds himself involved in a real-life escapade when the enigmatic Rosalind van Hoorn (Virginia Mayo) ropes him into an intrigue. Suddenly involved with valuable jewels, a little black book, and sinister criminal Dr. Hugo Hollingshead (Boris Karloff) Walter’s staid world is soon full of all the adventure he can handle and some he can’t!

    The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1932)-Arriving in Shanghai to marry her missionary fiancé Dr. Robert Strike (Gavin Gordon) Megan Davis (Barbara Stanwyck) finds herself swept up in China’s civil war and taken captive by warlord General Yen (Nils Asther). Held in luxury as Yen persistently tries to woo her Megan is at first repelled by his barbaric tactics but after an unsettling dream (which with this being a pre-code film is replete with very erotic imagery) finds herself becoming attracted to the general developing sympathy for his embattled position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great list! I've been seeing Walter Mitty on a lot of people's lists this week! I don't know why they kept knocking off your comments, but I fixed it!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I thought it was something on my end, probably this dumb new Google double sign-in thing! Ugh!

      Delete
    3. Yeah. Google's been acting up lately when it comes to comments.

      Delete
  4. Vertigo is a great pick! I almost added it as well. I really need to rewatch it some time soon 😅

    ReplyDelete