Thursday, June 11, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #35: Prequels

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!



This week's theme is: Prequels!


Now to be honest, I rarely watch prequels of various films since they tend to come out after the first movie and I often wondered to myself about why release a prequel of a film after the first movie, when you could have just explained the characters' backstories in the very first movie?  Oh well.  Anyway, here are some of my favorite prequels that I've seen.











X-Men: First Class (2011) - Rotten Tomatoes


In the 1960s, superpowered humans Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr work together to find others like them, but Erik's vengeful pursuit of an ambitious mutant who ruined his life causes a schism to divide them.

This was actually one of the few prequels that I actually enjoyed.  Heck, this movie was way better than the previous two X-Men movies that came out before it (X-Men Origins: Wolverine and X-Men: The Last Stand).  I really liked how they portrayed Xavier and Magneto in this film and how their rivalry got started. I'm glad the second film "Days of Future Past" was as good as the first movie!





Amazon.com: Movie Posters Rise of The Planet of The Apes - 27 x 40 ...

A substance designed to help the brain repair itself gives advanced intelligence to a chimpanzee who leads an ape uprising.

Honestly, I have never seen the original "Planet of the Apes" films, so I wasn't 100% sure if this was a prequel to all the "Planet of the Apes" films.  But, I really did enjoyed this film and the sequels after this movie were just as good!






Puss In Boots Continues To Charm In New Poster - HeyUGuys


An outlaw cat, his childhood egg-friend and a seductive thief kitty set out in search for the eggs of the fabled Golden Goose to clear his name, restore his lost honor and regain the trust of his mother and town.

I really liked Puss in Boots' appearance in "Shrek 2" and I wanted to know more about this character.  So, I was beyond excited to see a prequel film made about him and I really enjoyed this movie!  It had lots of action and great characterization of Puss in Boots as a character!






😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀





😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

8 comments:

  1. We match on Rise! I didn't care for First Class and never bothered with Puss in Boots. I was never a huge fan of Shrek, though I did like him in Shrek 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rise is a pretty good movie! Now I just need to watch the third movie!

      Delete
  2. I'm 0 for 3 on these. I've got a case of X-Men burnout. Loved the original and the first sequel was fine but then they went on and on and on and I just grew bored and stopped watching them.

    I watched all the original 70's period Planet of the Apes and again it was a case that I grew tired of them. I did give the Mark Wahlberg one a shot when it came out but it was terrible so when they started putting them out again I didn't bother.

    I'm absolutely not an animation fan so any of the Shrek, Toy Story etc. are things I avoid and Puss in Boots falls into that category.

    I reached back a bit for mine, in the first case way back.

    Another Part of the Forest (1948)-This prequel to Lillian Hellman’s The Little Foxes exposes how the cancerous home life of Regina, Ben and Oscar Hubbard’s family in their youth full of physical and mental abuse as well as hints of incest formed them into the malignant vipers they were in the original film.

    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)-Prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark with Indy (Harrison Ford) fighting an evil cult, rescuing kids and generally saving the day. Plenty of adventure but the weakest of the trilogy. Karen Allen’s marvelous Marion is sorely missed.

    Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)-This many decades delayed prequel to the fantastic The Wizard of Oz explains how traveling huckster Oscar Diggs (James Franco) became the Wizard also what led sisters Glinda (Michelle Williams) and Theodora (Mila Kunis) to became arch rivals and respectively the Good Witch of the South and the Wicked Witch of the West. Colorful but empty with only Rachel Weisz as the Wicked Witch of the East standing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to put the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom up there since I've watched the movie a lot when I was little, but I forgot! Anyway, lots of interesting movies here!

      Delete
  3. I've seen all three and love all of them. I fell in love with Puss in Boots when I first saw him in Shrek 2 and was really excited about the film. I was so glad when it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to see Puss in Boots which looks so funny. I liked the X-Men series and these are good...not quite as good as the originals but the6 are goos. I also really love these Planet of the Apes versions and they work well with what happened later. I do like the original Planet of the Apes-and the 2nd is not bad but forget the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the later movies of the old Planet of the Apes were terrible. I'm still going to give the original series a try though.

      Delete