Thursday, August 13, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #37: School


 

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!



This week's theme is: School!


Wow!  What an interesting topic!  I tend to watch a lot of movies that dealt with schools and it would be hard for me to narrow it down to just three movies that deal with school.  So, here's three movies that dealt with school that I have seen!









Maverick teacher John Keating uses poetry to embolden his boarding school students to new heights of self-expression.

Oh man!  I used to watch this movie all the time in high school and the fact that it dealt with poetry while dealing with real life drama at the same time was really inspiring to me!  It was also one of the few movies I watched in my high school class that I actually enjoyed!  Also, it had the late Robin Williams in one of his most iconic roles!








Story of a wonderful little girl, who happens to be a genius, and her wonderful teacher vs. the worst parents ever and the worst school principal imaginable.

I used to watch this movie all the time when I was little!  I found this to be a pretty fun movie about a little girl who has magic powers and uses them to teach her tormentors a lesson!  Mara Wilson was fantastic in this film and I was impressed with the Miss Trunchbull scenes!



3. Carrie





 

Carrie White, a shy, friendless teenage girl who is sheltered by her domineering, religious mother, unleashes her telekinetic powers after being humiliated by her classmates at her senior prom.

I have a confession.  My first experience with the character of Carrie White was not the original 1976 version starring Sissy Spacek.  It was actually the 2002 remake.  However, I watched the 1976 version eventually and I really enjoyed it!  Sure, this pick is about the horrible side of high school ( a young girl is being picked on relentlessly by everyone at her school), but it was a pretty interesting horror movie that takes place at school!





😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀


10 comments:

  1. 3 different yet excellent picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last two! I was never a fan of Dead Poets Society, but it's been years since I've seen it so I may like it better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was more of a fan of School Ties than Dead Poet's Society but I must admit it has been years since I watched it. I didn't dislike it I was just never passionate about it as some are.

    I put Matilda off for years (decades actually) because the small bits I saw didn't impress me. But once I watched it front to back I thought it was a decent film. It will never be a favorite but it is a good version of the book.

    Carrie is all about Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie for me. They elevate what could have been a routine scare flick to another level. I never had any interest in the remake.

    SO many ways to go with the theme! I did a mini theme within the theme and chose three set at boarding schools.

    Mädchen in Uniform (1931)-Still reeling from the death of her mother teenage Manuela (Hertha Thiele) is sent to a German boarding school run by the autocratic Fräulein von Nordeck (Emilia Unda). Grieving and angry Manuela at first keeps to herself but is slowly drawn out of her shell by sympathetic young teacher Elizabeth von Bernburg (Dorothea Wieck). But when Manuela's fondness for her teacher turns into a romantic attachment, it becomes a school-wide scandal. The film caused an uproar upon its release due to its compassionate view towards lesbianism.

    The Happiest Days of Your Life (1950)-During World War II St. Swithins all-girls school is evacuated from London to avoid the Blitz. Due to a clerical error the female students and staff are relocated to the Nutborne Boys School. When the headmaster, Wetherby Pond (Alastair Sim) finds out he hits the ceiling but when he realizes there is nothing to be done about it he and St. Swithins headmistress Muriel Whitchurch (Margaret Rutherford) agree to keep their mixed-sex campus a secret to avoid disturbing the parents. However they find it hard to deceive visiting inspectors and hilarity ensues.

    A Little Princess (1939)-When the wealthy Captain Crewe (Ian Hunter) is called to serve in the Boer War he places his young daughter Sara (Shirley Temple) in the exclusive Miss Minchin's School for Girls. Everything is rosy for a time but when word arrives that the captain has been killed in action and his property seized Sara, reduced to penury, is forced to become a servant at the school living in a tiny attic room. Belittled and tormented by several of the girls especially the cruel Lavinia (Marcia Mae Jones) Sara believes her father to be alive and haunts the hospitals looking for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dead Poets Society is an excellent film and I'm hating myself so much for not thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to see Dead Poets Society...I must be the only one who has not seen it yet and I love Robin Williams. I have not seen Matilda and may give it a go. Good ole Carrie is a perfect fit and the acting by her and her mom are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check out Dead Poets Society! It's worth the watch!

      Delete