Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #49: Police Detectives

 Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Police Detectives!


Now, I love watching movies that deal with mysteries and detectives and I'm so happy that this week's theme is all about police detectives!  So, here are the movies that I've seen so far that dealt with police detectives!








In a world where people collect Pokemon to do battle, a boy comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu who seeks to be a detective.

I will admit that at first, I was hesitant about this movie because 1) Pikachu was being voiced by Ryan Reynolds (or the fact that Pikachu was talking at all) and 2) the fact that the Pokemon in this film are in live action made me a bit wary about this film.  But, when I finally saw this film, I ended up loving this film for the really good story line and Ryan Reynolds did a fantastic job voicing Pikachu!  This is definitely one of my favorite video game movies, alongside "Sonic the Hedgehog!"















A toon-hating detective is a cartoon rabbit's only hope to prove his innocence when he is accused of murder.

I have to say that this is one of my favorite movies of all-time and it's one movie that I continue to watch to this very day!  I just loved the way that the toon world interacted with the human world and the plot about Roger Rabbit being framed for a murder was quite an intriguing story!  Also, the late Bob Hoskins' performance as Eddie Valiant was one of the most iconic aspects of this film!











When Enola Holmes - Sherlock's teen sister - discovers her mother missing, she sets off to find her, becoming a super-sleuth in her own right as she outwits her famous brother and unravels a dangerous conspiracy around a mysterious young Lord.

"Enola Holmes" was one of those movies that I was a bit interested in seeing, despite the fact that I don't know much about Sherlock Holmes.  But after watching this movie, I had a really fun time with this film!  Millie Bobby Brown was fantastic as Enola Holmes and I loved the way that the film juggled both humor and suspense throughout!









😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

8 comments:

  1. Interesting choices.

    The only one I've seen is Roger Rabbit and even for an animation adverse guy like me I have to admit it's a terrific picture. Clever and inventive with great work by Bob Hoskins and wonderful voice work from Kathleen Turner.

    I'm interested in Enola Holmes but haven't caught up with it yet. However to be honest I'll never watch your first pick, I can tell by that picture it just isn't for me.

    I also love detective movies, be they private eyes or policemen so the choices were vast. I decided to do a theme within the theme and chose three from the 70's whose one word titles were the lead's last name.

    Serpico (1973)-Based on the autobiographical book of the same name this looks at honest NYPD cop Frank Serpico (Al Pacino) and his struggles against the corruption that permeated the department in the 60’s and his ultimate role of whistleblower after earning his detective shield. Gritty drama anchored by Pacino’s Oscar nominated performance captures the feeling of a grimy corruption plagued New York City.

    Brannigan (1975)-Chicago police detective Jim Brannigan (John Wayne) hops a plane to England to extradite American gangster Ben Larkin (John Vernon). His brash ways clash with the more reserved British methods of Scotland Yard Commander Swann (Richard Attenborough) but when Larkin is kidnapped before Brannigan can take him into custody rough and tumble cop takes off on a manhunt through the streets of London assisted by Detective Sergeant Jennifer Thatcher (Judy Geeson). Fun actioner was one of the Duke’s final films, the fresh locale invigorating his performance.

    Stone (1974)-In 70’s Australia members of the biker gang The GraveDiggers witness a political assassination while under the influence of hallucinogenics and shortly afterwards begin to be killed one by one. Police detective Stone (Ken Shorter) goes undercover within the gang to try and ferret out the killer. He bonds somewhat with the members but when he uncovers a conspiracy, he must make a choice between his job and loyalty to the gang. VERY 70’s film is more concerned with footage of motorcycles, skinny dipping and exploitation than telling a really cohesive story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I haven't seen these films before, but they look great! Great list!

      Delete
  2. I loved Detective Pikachu. It's not a masterpiece but it's so fun and the Pokemon look adorable. Aipom are quite scary though haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I can't believe they made Aipom look so scary! But at least Pikachu still looked cute!

      Delete
  3. Nice picks! I forgot about Roger Rabbit, but he totally works for the list. Enola Holmes was a lot of fun. It was nice to see Millie Bobby Brown outside of Stranger Things. I still have to see Pokemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check out Detective Pikachu! It's a pretty good movie, even if some of the Pokemon designs are a bit creepy.

      Delete
  4. Haven't seen Detective Pikachu yet, but Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is fantastic. Enola Holmes is good, too, but you might have been able to continue the theme with another movie. Maybe, The Happytime Murders? Good picks, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete