Thursday, September 10, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #39: Non-English Language Movies

 

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!



This week's theme is: Non-English Language Movies!


Now, I tend to watch a lot of Non-English language movies (mostly anime movies), so I was so excited about going into this topic and talking about some non-English language films I've seen over the years!







During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts.

I know, I know.  I've already featured this movie on several Thursday Movie Picks posts. But this just shows just how much I love this movie!  I tend to watch a lot of anime movies and Hayao Miyazaki's films are always a treat to watch!  I honestly think that "Spirited Away" might be one of his best works!












On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony.  In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime.

Here's another Hayao Miyazaki film that I really enjoyed!  This is probably his darkest and goriest movie to date, but I still loved it and I especially loved the wolf gods in this film.  They are so awesome to look at!










In Shanghai, China in the 1940s, a wannabe gangster aspires to join the notorious "Axe Gang" while residents of a housing complex exhibit extraordinary powers in defending their turf.

I just love this crazy Chinese film!  The "Looney Tunes" slapstick antics and the Kung Fu fighting made this film quite entertaining to watch!  I'm definitely planning on rewatching this film again!











😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

7 comments:

  1. I've seen these! All excellent flicks. I'm always glad to see some more love for Kung Fu Hustle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm am most definitely NOT an anime guy though I've heard of your first two, I'll never watch them though. I haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle but it sounds like fun so on the list it goes.

    I went with a Japanese master and two fine French films this time out.

    Drunken Angel (1948)-Gangster Toshiro Mifune visits Dr. Takashi Shimura, after an unfortunate incident with a bullet. The doctor, who despises the Yakuza, discovers the young man is suffering from tuberculosis, a disease symbolic of what is happening to the doctor and the community he serves. Facing his own anger and fear, the doctor aligns himself with the gangster's world. This film noir was directed by Akira Kurosawa.

    Le Silence de la Mer (1949)-An elderly Frenchman (Jean-Marie Robain) and his niece (Nicole Stéphane) are forced to give shelter to a Nazi soldier (Howard Vernon) who seemingly loves their country and culture. Though they refuse to speak to him over time they form a strange sort of bond.

    La Notte (1961)-In Milan, Lidia (Jeanne Moreau) suddenly storms out of a fancy party held in honor of her husband, Giovanni (Marcello Mastroianni), to celebrate the publication of his new novel. Distressed at the news that her friend Tommaso (Bernhard Wicki) has a terminal illness, Lidia begins roaming the streets of the city, questioning her marriage to Giovanni. Meanwhile, Giovanni, seemingly oblivious to his crumbling relationship with Lidia, attempts to seduce beautiful young Valentina (Monica Vitti). Written and directed by Michelangelo Antonioni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! These sound like interesting films! Definitely checking them out!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any of these but Kung Fu Hustle sounds like a good time and fun to watch

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen your third pick but I loved the other two.

    ReplyDelete