Thursday, October 8, 2020

[HORROR MOVIE CORNER] The Babysitter (2017)

 



Hello horror movie fans! Welcome to the all-new "Horror Movie Corner," where I talk about the horror movies that I have seen over the years!  So, this week's horror movie that I will be reviewing is the crazy Netflix film, "The Babysitter!"







OR







Title: The Babysitter

Starring:  Samara Weaving, Robbie Amell, Judah Lewis, Bella Thorne

Genre:  Comedy / Horror / Action

Company:   New Line Cinema

Directed by: McG

Year: 2017

MPAA Rating / TV Rating: TV-MA

Buy on:   Blu-Ray.com





This movie has graphic violence and strong language and some sexual content.  








The movie starts off with a 12-year-old boy named Cole Johnson who was constantly bullied at school and was always afraid of everything.  But despite all this, Cole is good friends with his babysitter Bee and they would do all sorts of things together.  One day, Cole's parents went on a getaway trip and they left Cole with Bee.  At first, things were going well between Cole and Bee as they enjoyed playing various games with each other.  But as soon as Cole goes to bed, he starts hearing Bee playing some games with her friends downstairs.  Cole then goes downstairs to see what Bee and her friends were doing and it turned out that Bee and her friends were performing a human sacrifice!  It was then that Cole realized that Bee and her friends are in a cult and that they planned on performing human sacrifices in order to have their wishes come true and Cole is the next victim on their list!  Now Cole has to do everything in his power to escape from Bee and her friends!




Wow! I'm actually surprised that I enjoyed this movie as much as I did!  At first, I thought that I wasn't going to like this movie because the premise sounded ridiculous.  But once I watched this movie, I was quite impressed by how funny and scary this film was!  I really loved the performances of all the actors and actresses in this film as they really got into their roles and they made the movie so entertaining to watch!  I especially loved the performances from Samara Weaving as Bee and Robbie Amell as Max as they were the most entertaining characters in the movie!  I loved the way that Robbie Amell made Max into such a comical character, despite the fact that he's an ax-crazy killer.  I also enjoyed Samara Weaving's performance as Bee as she made Bee so friendly yet deadly at the same time.  I also liked the fact that the movie had a nice balance between comedy and horror as there were many scenes that were quite intense.  But at the same time, I was laughing out loud at how over the top the actors' performances were.




The main issue that I had with this film was that I felt that the characters weren't that well developed as I don't know anything about their backstories.  The characters that I was the most curious about were Bee and her friends as their motivations to perform human sacrifices seem a little flat to me because I don't know much about their backgrounds and how they even know about performing sacrifices to have their wishes come true.

Overall, "The Babysitter" may seem like a silly horror comedy film, but it is definitely entertaining to watch because of how over the top the characters' antics are.  And I loved the way that this film turned many horror tropes on its head and made a pretty entertaining movie out of it!












2 comments:

  1. I agree. This was a really well done movie despite the premise being way out there. I had a blast watching it. Can't say the same for the sequel, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually enjoyed the sequel a lot, although there were a couple of things in that movie were a bit off.

      Delete