Thursday, March 5, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #30: Seven Deadly Sins Edition - Gluttony

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!



This week's theme is: Seven Deadly Sins Edition - Gluttony!
Now, I tend to watch a lot of movies that dealt with food since I'm a huge foodie fan!  But, there were a couple of films that I've seen that dealt with the subject of gluttony and often has negative consequences for the people getting involved with it.  So, here are some movies I've seen that dealt with gluttony!








Image result for Willy Wonka Augustus gloop gif


A poor but hopeful boy seeks one of the five coveted golden tickets that will send him on a tour of Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory.


I remembered watching this movie a lot when I was little and one of the scenes that I remembered so much was the scene of Augustus Gloop falling into the chocolate river and being sucked up into the tubes!  This movie pretty much explains what happens when you let gluttony get the best of you!






Image result for spirited away pigs gif


During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts.



Oh man!  This movie used to scare me to death when I first saw it!  Even though the scene where Chihiro's parents were transformed into pigs kicked off the plot, that wasn't the scene that scared me.  It was the scene that featured a mysterious spirit called No-Face eating up the workers that freaked me out.





Image result for Animal Farm napoleon gif



A successful farmyard revolution by the resident animals vs. the farmer goes horribly wrong as the victors create a new tyranny among themselves.


Even though the majority of this movie is about the pigs trying to rule Animal Farm with an iron fist, there is a bit of gluttony involved with the pig characters as they hogged (see what I did there) most of the food from the other farm animals, showing their cruel nature.





😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀





😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀



13 comments:

  1. Oh man, I forgot about Animal Farm. We match on Spirited Away! I love that movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this version of Willy Wonka! The Depp one is a horrible misfire. It's candy colors once they are in the factory, all the kids and parents but most of all, the perfectly cast Gene Wilder. It was the first one I thought of as well, and seems to be the title of the week, but I've used it before.

    While it's not as well realized as the book this Animal Farm is a good adaptation of the book.

    I've never seen Spirited Away.

    I struggled a bit with this week’s theme but then happened upon my first pick, which until now I hadn’t known existed. It’s a series of vignettes for each of the sins, most written by or with the involvement of some of the Monty Python troupe, and it’s provided me with at least one title for each transgression for the rest of the year!

    The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins (1971)-Gluttony: The manufacturer of dietary biscuits Slimmo exhorts that you can exist on 8 of them a day while being a closet glutton with rich food hidden throughout his office. When he inevitably starts to gain weight the company doctor limits him to two biscuits a day but everywhere he looks he sees food! We follow his comic adventures as he tries to sneak whatever tidbits he can. But he pays for it in the end. Co-written by Monty Python’s Graham Chapman.

    The Big Feast (aka La Grande Bouffe) (1973)-Four middle aged disenchanted French men of the bourgeoisie (including Marcello Mastroianni and Philippe Noiret) gather at the villa of one of their number with the express goal of eating themselves to death. Looking to indulge to the utmost they include three prostitutes in the party and from then on its food then sex, sex and food, sex while eating food and finally just food and more food. You might never want to eat again once it ends.

    Cool Hand Luke (1967)-Non conformist Luke Jackson (Paul Newman) is behind bars on a Florida chain gang but his spirit isn’t imprisoned. While he is a thorn in the side of the guards he becomes a source of inspiration to the other inmates particularly after accepting a spur of the moment bet to eat 50 hard-boiled eggs in an hour. After he achieves the gluttonish goal he lays on a table splayed Christ like suffering but venerated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love this version of Willy Wonka much more than the Tim Burton version. I can never get into the Tim Burton version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

      Delete
  3. I've never seen Willy Wonka or Spirited Away, but remember Animal Farm. That's an inspired choice! Thanks for commenting on my entry and for the Kofi follow. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these but I've seen the Burton Willy Wonka so I totally see how this fit. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I left a comment but I realized after I didn't. We match with Willie Wonka. I read the book of Animal Farm which scared the hell out of me. It's a great book about the deadly sins as well as Communism. I have not seen Spirited away but I would like to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered reading Animal Farm in high school and I was surprised by how disturbing it was.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any of them. But I have seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...did not like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory either. I actually preferred Willy Wonka over it.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen your third pick (I did read Orwell's novel though) but I loved the other two. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete