Saturday, July 20, 2024

[SURREAL REQUEST HOLE] [SHORTS REVIEW] Face Like a Frog (1987)

 







OR










Title: Face Like a Frog

Genre: Horror / Surrealism / Fantasy

Company: N/A

Directed by: Sally Cruikshank

Year: 1987

MPAA Rating / TV Rating: N/A

Buy on:  N/A




*This short was requested by Nova Softlock Circus.  If you would like to suggest a weird movie / TV show / short for me to review, then please leave your suggestions on the Surreal Request Hole page. *







The short is about a female frog asking for the help of a male frog, who just so happens to drive up to the mansion at that time and the female frog wants the male frog to help her deal with the haunted mansion.  Unfortunately, it turns out that the mansion has a lot of terrifying things that the male frog is not prepared for.




So, it's been awhile since I last reviewed anything on this blog.  So, I just recently saw this bizarre little short called "Face Like a Frog" and man, was this short such a wild ride!  I had previously reviewed Sally Cruikshank's other short film Quasi at the Quackadero and that short was just as weird as this short.  However, I do think that "Face Like a Frog" might have beaten "Quasi at the Quackadero" in terms of weirdness.  The first thing that I liked about this film was the animation.  The animation in this film was truly unique as everything, from the characters to the environment that they are in, is constantly moving around and it gives the short a truly bizarre and unique feel.  Another thing that I liked about this short was the music.  I was quite surprised when I found out that Danny Elfman provided the music for this short and the music did a good job at giving this short a bizarre yet creepy feel to it.  I especially loved the song "Don't Go Into the Basement" as it was extremely catchy and I loved the bizarre animation being shown during that scene.




My main problem with this short was that everything moved a bit too fast for me.  Since this short was only 5 minutes long, the characters weren't fully developed and the situation with the two frogs and the haunted mansion went by too quickly. I would have liked it if the short was a bit longer and allowed more room for the characters to be developed, as well as having more adventures between the two frog characters.

Overall, "Face Like a Frog" is a great short that brilliantly shows how to use weird animation to its fullest and it is a nice little short to watch for the Halloween season!  I definitely can't wait to watch more of Sally Cruikshank's works in the near future!















😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

No comments:

Post a Comment