Tuesday, March 12, 2019

[SHORTS REVIEW] Quasi at the Quackadero (1976)






OR













Title: Quasi at the Quackadero

Starring:  Sally Cruikshank and Kim Deitch

Genre: Fantasy / Science Fiction / Comedy 

Company: N/A

Directed by: Sally Cruikshank

Year: 1976

MPAA Rating / TV Rating: N/A

Buy on:  N/A




The short is about how two "ducks" named Quasi and Anita, along with their robot friend Rollo decided to go to a strange amusement park called the Quackadero.  It was there that the three "supposed" friends saw all kinds of surreal activities going on, such as having their thoughts painted on pictures and going through several time traveling dimensions.  Also, Anita and Rollo are plotting against Quasi and want to get rid of him.


Wow! I can't believe that I've never seen this animated short before until just recently!  I bet that if I had watched this animated short when I was little, I would have loved it! "Quasi at the Quackadero" is certainly one of the WEIRDEST animated shorts I have ever seen!  Sally Cruikshank (who had also done animation work for "Sesame Street" during the 1980s) had done an awesome job at animating this short as the characters and the wacky world that they live in come to life and I have to say that this animation was very well done for the 1970s!  I also loved the fact that there are so many details going on in the animation like there was one scene where a circus master of sorts was yelling at his crew and you can see a strange creature pop out of his pants for no reason at all.  I was also entertained by the bantering between Quasi and Anita, as I found it interesting that while they went out to the Quackadero together, it seems like they can't stand each other and I was interested in seeing how Anita and Rollo will get rid of Quasi towards the end of the short.







The only problem with this short is that it can be rather confusing at times, especially during the scenes where Quasi, Anita and Rollo go to the Quackadero.  Also, if you are not a huge fan of bizarre imagery, this short has plenty of bizarre imagery that might creep out some viewers.  And another thing, even though this aspect is probably not that important to the story, I would have loved to see more from Anita, Quasi and Rollo's relationship with each other since I wanted to know why they treat each other so terribly.

Overall, "Quasi at the Quackadero" is one of the most bizarre yet creative animated shorts I have ever seen and I can't wait to check out the sequel "Make Me Psychic" someday!




No comments:

Post a Comment