Thursday, March 9, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks #67: Companion Reads

Hey! Welcome to Thursday Movie Picks where you get to share your movie picks for each topic presented every Thursday!  Based on the theme presented each week, you can pick up to 3 to 5 movies and explain why you picked those movies! This meme is being hosted by Wandering through the Shelves!




This week's theme is: Companion Reads!

So, this week's theme is an interesting one as it's one that I didn't expect to see pop up here.  I mean, we had topics about books to movies, but I never seen a topic about what books could go with certain movies because of the themes explored in the film.  So, I might be cheating a bit here since most of the movies that I will be discussing are based off of books, but I have read a lot of books that are similar to these movies.









On Halloween 1968, Stella and her two friends meet a mysterious drifter, Ramon, and uncover a sinister notebook of stories.

I have actually read the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" series when I was a kid and I was actually surprised that they finally made a movie about this series.  I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to take after the book's infamous creepy imagery that got the original book series banned.

So, a book that I think would be a great companion read to the "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark" movie would be "In a Dark, Dark Room." This book was also written by Alvin Schwartz, who wrote the original Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark book series and it's also a horror anthology that's geared towards older kids and it has a pretty infamous story that involves a green ribbon...




Purchase links:









Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games: a televised competition in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to fight to the death.


Like Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, I have read the Hunger Games book series, but I haven't seen the movies yet, even though the movies are pretty popular.  But, I have enjoyed the book series and I was happy that this finally got a movie series of its own.

A book that I think is a great companion read to this movie series would be the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.  In this series, the main character also lives in a dystopian future and has to fight against the corrupted government to save the people of his world.





Purchase Links: 







An account of Baron Munchausen's supposed travels and fantastical experiences across late 18th century Europe with his band of misfits.

I've seen Baron Munchausen many years ago and I always really enjoyed this movie, especially because it's such a surreal movie!

There are several books that would be great companion reads to this movie.  But I decided to choose "The Fool and the Flying Ship" by Eric Metaxas.  It also involves the main character being accompanied by several people who have powers and they both also involved the late Robin Williams in the production.



Purchase Links: 






😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀




😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

2 comments:

  1. You bringing up the Hunger Games makes me realize I should've picked Battle Royale as a watch, then Hunger Games as a read. Dang! lol. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Honestly, I never seen Battle Royale, although the only thing I know about that movie was that it was about a lot of people getting killed.

      Delete